Anton James Becker's Facebook profile

Thursday, December 25, 2008

December 25 - a Secular Holiday

I choose to celebrate my family, both those close and far, on this secular holiday. I say secular because my celebration does not include any reference to supernatural or theistic events and beliefs.

There is nothing more important to me than the love that binds my family members together. December 25 has always been a day where that love is exhibited, grown, and celebrated. Yes, this day was chosen as a day of celebration many years ago by christians, and before them believers in mithras, and before them various pagans celebrating the solstice. For the same reason as others took this day from prior cultures I choose this day because it is an important time of the natural world and just as importantly includes the added benefit of many others already celebrating in various ways.

I would ask each person today - why are you celebrating? Yes, there will be theistic answers, but there will also be answers which center on love and bringing the family together. I suggest that most people have both reasons, but, if one had to choose between god and family the vast majority would be quick to choose FAMILY.

I know this is an inoperative hypothetical but it is instructive especially for christians. After all, wasn't it jesus who said

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple. "
Luke 14:26

So I say, I love my father and mother, my wife and children, my brothers and sisters, i love my own life so I CANNOT be your disciple.!!!

Anton

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anton

Just started reading your blog. Excellent entry. I just finished reading What Jesus Meant and What Paul Meant. Based on those books and the original NT texts I am pretty sure they would have agreed with you! Merry Secular X mas
Doug

Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS ......my cousin